Saturday, February 26, 2011

Irish General Election

I have been watching the results of the Irish general election coming in during the course of today. No real surprises in the outcome - big gains for the opposition parties (Fine Gael, Labour and Sinn Fein) while the outgoing coalition government (Fianna Fail and Green Party) were both decimated reflecting, in particular, Fianna Fail's political mismanagement of Ireland over the past ten years.

I don't have great expectations of the new governments (likely a Fine Gael / Labour coalition) ability to make real changes and right some of the wrong decisions made - partly due to the appalling economic situation that currently exists limiting their options and partly due to my lack of faith in current Irish political leadership generally. But I would like to be surprised.

I do think there may be some theraputic effect for the Irish people in effecting this change in political leadership that may also bring with it some fresh hope that Ireland can turn the corner and once again be a place that we are proud to call home.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Francis,

I just read this article by Michael Lewis (one of my favorite authors). Good piece.

http://www.vanityfair.com/business/features/2011/03/michael-lewis-ireland-201103

I was wondering what your thoughts were.