Sunday, May 3, 2009

Munster v Leinster

Went to the Irish bar, Fado, to watch this 'titantic' clash of two Irish provinces contesting the semi final of their European Cup rugby competition. The bar was not as busy as I expected, the gorgeous day outside may have been too tempting for some after the long winter - the Irish breakfast was worth it for me.

Leinster played better than I have seen them in many years and unfortunately beat my home team Munster. I wasn't too disheartened by the defeat - Leinster simply deserved to win and Munster were the reigning European champions and winners twice in the last three years so perhaps, a bit like the team, when you have gotten used to winning that hunger / desire to succeed wanes a little. However I do hope it doesn't mark the end of this amazing Munster team and the great times we have enjoyed with them.

Leinster were really up for it yesterday and I hope they go on and produce a simlar performance and win against Leicester Tigers in the final - while it has been great to have the bragging rights over Leinster, many of the players on the Leinster team (who contibuted so much to Ireland winning the 2009 Grand slam) should have won a European Cup by now. Of course I would also always prefer to see an Irish side triumph over an English one.

No comments: